Do you want to create a blog for free and make money? If yes, then this article is just for you.
Blogging is one of the major ways people express themselves online, help others solve problems, establish themselves as an authority in their niche, and make money.
If you love to write, or you are just looking for ways to make money online, then blogging might not be bad for you.
However, before you start your own blog, you must first understand that blogging is not a get rich quick business.
I have seen a lot of persons start a blog, and in less than 6 months quit the blog. The reason is that they were thinking that the moment they create a blog, they will immediately start making millions.
Don’t get me wrong, blogging is very lucrative. You can make a lot of money from blogging. However, you must first grow your blog before you start ripping the benefits.
One of the tips you must learn as a newbie blogger is that you must be patient, consistent and focused to become a successful blogger.
Choose A Niche for Your Blog
The first thing you must do before you create a free blog is to choose a niche for your blog. By niche, I mean you should decide what your blog will be about.
You don’t just create a blog and start blogging on any and everything. Your blog must be focused on something. This is what is called a blog niche.
In this guide, I have listed some blog niche ideas that you can choose for your blog. Before we look into that, here are the things you should consider when choosing a niche for your blog.
4 Things to Consider When Choosing a Blog Niche.
There are 4 basic things you must consider before choosing a niche for your blog.
Let’s consider them a little.
1. Passion: Choose a niche that you have passion for. What I mean is that, after you create your free blog, what topic do you think will give you joy and fulfillment when writing on it?
It is important you choose a niche or topic that you enjoy writing on, so you don’t lose interest in blogging too soon.
2. Knowledge: When choosing a niche for your blog, you should ensure it is something you have a good knowledge of. For instance, choosing a health niche, when you know absolutely nothing about health is not advisable.
Besides, you don’t want to be misleading or confusing your readers. Do you? I think not. Hence, it is very important you pick a topic you know.
For a start, you don’t necessarily need to be a pro in your chosen niche. As long as it is a topic you love and are willing to grow your knowledge about, I think you will do just fine.
3. Demand: Choose a niche that has good demand in the marketplace. Don’t just choose any niche, ensure it is one that people have demand for.
It will profit you nothing if after you create your free blog, and write good content, it turns out that what you are writing on is not what people are looking for.
4. Profitability: The 4th thing you must consider when choosing a niche is, can you make money from it? Is the competition for this niche very high? Are bloggers making money from it?
Lets now see some great niche ideas for a blog.
6 Best Blogging Niche Ideas
- Health and Fitness
The list of blogging niche is inexhaustible. However, these are some of the top blogging niches with good income.
Free or paid Blogging Platform, Which Should You Go for?
One of the things that scare people from creating a blog of their own is that they don’t want to make any initial investment. This is quite understanding.
Though, there are a lot of limitations in using a free blogging platform. For instance, you won’t have complete control over your content, and you can make much money with your blog.
Hence, I usually advise newbie bloggers to invest a little and get a professional self-hosted WordPress blog, especially if you want to make good money from your blog.
It is very easy and doesn’t cost much.
In fact, with just $48, you can get a 1-year hosting and domain from Bluehost, and create a stunning blog in just less than 1 hour with our step by step guide on how to create a professional self-hosted WordPress blog.
However, if you can’t afford that for now, you can start with a free blog. Besides, you can always move to a self-hosted WordPress blog at any time.
Lets now consider some of the best free blogging platforms you can use and create your blog.
Best Free Blogging Platforms to Make Money
There are many free blogging platforms that you can use and create a free blog and start making money. However, I will discuss just 5 of them.
My guess is, you don’t just want to create a free blog, but you also want it to look professional and also be able to make money from it, right? Great!
Lets now consider them.
Blogger is one of the best free blogging platforms that is owned by Google. Blogger is a very popular platform. As a matter of fact, Blogger.com currently hosts millions of blogs.
Actually, my recommended platform to create a blog for free and make money is Blogger.com. Do you know why? No, not necessarily because it is owned by Google.
It is because as you will see in this post, Blogger has a lot of benefits that other free blogging platforms don’t have.
Features of Blogger.com
1. Setup: Blogger is very easy to set-up. There is no technicality in it. All you need is a Google account (Gmail or Youtube account), to get started.
2. Templates: One of the reasons why I preferred this free blogging platform to other free platforms is that you have access to a lot of free and paid templates or designs.
You can easily choose a free template or get a paid template (this usually costs around $15) and give your blog the professional design you desire.
3. Monetization: Making money from a Blogger blog is also not difficult. You can earn money from your blog with Adsense and Affiliate program.
Adsense, for those who don’t know, is one of the best ad networks owned by Google. Google allows blogger.com users to apply for Adsense on their blogs.
What this means is that Google will be showing ads on your blog, and when people come to your blog and click on any of those ads, Google will pay you.
As a matter of fact, applying for Adsense on a Blogger blog is even easier as it can be done right from inside your Blogger blog.
4. Custom Domain: Unlike many other free blogging platforms out there, you can use your own domain on your Blogger blog.
When you create a blogger blog, your default website address name will be yourname.blogspot.com. This does not look professional.
Thanks to Blogger, you can easily remove the blogspot from your website address. All you need do is to buy a domain name from a domain name registrar, e.g Namecheap and point the domain name to your blogger blog.
When you do that, you will have something like this: yourname.com instead or yourname.blogspot.com.
5. SEO: SEO means Search Engine Optimization. This allows the content you share on your blog to be able to rank on search engines like Google.
Blogger is optimized for SEO. If you write good content and use a good template, you can rank well.
How To Create a Blog for Free on Blogger.com
To create a free blog from Blogger, visit Blogger.com and click on Create your blog
Next, sign in to your google account. If you already have a Google account (Gmail, YouTube, etc), you can use it. Otherwise, you can simply create a new Google account.
After you have signed in, you can proceed to set up your free blogger blog. It’s just a straightforward process and doesn’t take time.
As a matter of fact, within just a few hours, your blog can be ready with your first post published.
Should You Use Blogger.com to create Your Free Blog?
Yes. Blogger.com is the best free blogging platform out there. I actually started out with Blogger.com before I moved to a self-hosted WordPress website. Learn the difference between blogger and WordPress.
However, I recommend you use a custom domain for your Blogger blog. This will make it look more professional, and give you a brand.
You probably must have heard of WordPress before now. That is because WordPress happens to be the most popular blogging platform globally.
However, by WordPress, I mean a self-hosted WordPress.org blog and not WordPress.com. WordPress is of 2 kinds.
WordPress.org is different from WordPress.com. WordPress.org is a self-hosted professional WordPress website or blog, and also the best blogging platform out there.
However, creating a self-hosted WordPress.org website requires you buy hosting and a domain. WordPress.com, on the other hand, is a free blogging platform that also offers paid services (business plan).
Learn the major differences between WordPress.org and WordPress.com
Features of WordPress.com
1. Setup: WordPress.com is easy to setup. Aside from that, WordPress.com helps you take care of your site performance and security.
2. Template: WordPress.com has a free WordPress template you can choose from and give you site the premium look you desire.
3. Monetization: You can’t make money with a free WordPress.com blog. You can’t use Adsense or any other ads network, neither can you use any affiliate program on your blog.
As a matter of fact, WordPress.com’s free blog cannot be used for any commercial purpose. If you are discovered, you risk losing your blog.
Though WordPress.com will show ads on your blog, the money isn’t for you.
4. Custom Domain: One downside of using WordPress.com is that you are stocked with the default yourname.wordpress.com. To use a custom domain, you will have to upgrade to the WordPress.com Business Plan.
5. SEO: WordPress.com is well optimized for SEO. Your content can rank well on search engines, provided you optimize them well.
However, you don’t have access to more advanced SEO optimization which you will likely get when using an SEO plugin. This is one of the reasons a self-hosted WordPress.org blog/website is better.
To have access to advanced SEO customization with WordPress.com, you will have to upgrade to the WordPress.com Business Plan.
How to Create a Blog for Free with WordPress.com
To create your free blog with WordPress.com, go to WordPress.com and sign up. It’s very easy and quick.
Should You Use WordPress.com to Create a Free Blog?
If you just want to get online and begin to share your content while worrying less about your website performance and security, then you can use it.
However, if you intend making money from your free blog, then you want to avoid WordPress.com at all costs.
Tumblr is another free blogging platform that you can use to create a blog for free and make money from.
Tumblr is mostly considered a micro-blogging platform. The reason is that most Tumblr bloggers focus on reblogging contents from their main WordPress blogs, so as to get traffic.
Features of Tumblr
1. Setup: Tumblr seems to be the easiest way to create a free blog. If you are looking for a platform to quickly set up your blog, Tumblr is what you want to go for.
The reason is that Tumblr has very limited options. Hence, you are able to create your free blog quickly and start posting immediately.
One good thing about Tumblr is that you can publish just a sentence or lengthy post on your Tumblr blog. It’s up to you.
2. Design: Tumblr has some beautiful themes you can use to give your Tumblr blog a good design. However, you don’t have to expect much from the design you will get from Tumblr.
3. Monetization: You can make money from your Tumblr blog with Google Adsense. The downside of it is that unlike Blogger.com, you cant apply for Adsense with Tumblr unless you have a custom domain.
4. Custom Domain: Just like Blogger.com, you can use a custom domain for your free Tumblr blog.
If you create a Tumblr blog, your default domain or website address will look like something like this: yourname.tumblr.com.
However, you can easily buy a domain name from Godaddy.com, Namecheap.com, or any domain name registrar and point it to your Tumblr domain.
When you do that, you will have something like this: yourname.com instead or yourname.tumblr.com. Learn how to point a custom domain name to Tumblr.
5. Traffic: One major reason why most bloggers use Tumblr is traffic. Tumblr has huge traffic. When you create a free blog on Tumblr, you have the opportunity to reach out to the huge Tumblr audience.
How To Create a Blog for Free on Tumblr
To create a free blog on Tumblr, visit Tumblr.com and click sign-up to start your blog.
Should You Use Tumblr to Create Your Free Blog?
I don’t recommend you use Tumblr for your main blog. It has a lot of limitations.
Only use Tumblr as a second blog. By that, I mean, have a main blog elsewhere, let’s say a self-hosted WordPress blog if you can afford it, and use Tumblr as a source of traffic for your main blog.
Medium is a very minimalistic free blogging platform Founded by Evan Williams, one of the founders of Twitter.
Medium is a blogging platform that can put your content in front of over 60 million readers.
Features of Medium
1. Setup: Medium is very easy to set up. You don’t need much to get your blog up and running.
2. Customization: Medium has little or no customization. The goal of Medium is to ensure your content gets to readers with little or no distraction.
Hence, your blog will look just like every other Medium blog out there
3. Monetization: If your goal is to make money on your blog with Google Adsense or other Ads network, then Medium is definitely not for you.
Though you can make money from your Medium blog, it’s only with the Medium Partner Program
4. Custom Domain: Initially, Medium allows users to have a custom domain for their Medium blog. Now, they have discontinued that feature.
What this means is that you cant have your own unique domain and brand identity while using Medium.
5. Traffic: Medium has huge traffic. If you can write quality content, then without work, you are sure that your content will get to over 60 million readers.
How to Create a Free Blog on Medium
To create a free Medium blog, simply go to Medium.com and click the Sign-Up button.
Next, create an account using your email or your existing social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, Google).
Should You Use Medium to Create Your Blog?
If you are very good at writing quality content and care less about graphics, then you might find Medium very interesting.
You shouldn’t use Medium if you don’t plan on using your blog for writing. Let’s say you are a photographer who don’t intend writing but displaying your works, then Medium is definitely not for you.
If you are concerned about owning your own brand and gaining more control over your blog, then you shouldn’t use Medium, as you will not be able to use a custom domain for your blog, and will also not be able to design your site as you please.
Wix is a good blogging platform to create a blog. Though Wix has premium plans that make your blog more professional, however, you can create a free blog from Wix.
Features of Wix
1. Setup: Wix is not too difficult to set up. For a beginner, Wix isn’t really a good option. Though you can easily get your Wix blog up and running in less than a few hours.
However, you will need time and patience to create a stunning Wix blog.
2. Customization: Wix has an easy to use drag and drop site builder that you can use to create a stunning Wix site. Also, you have access to plenty of already designed templates to get started with.
However, Wix has limited features and customizations.
3. Monetization: A free Wix blog just like a free WordPress.com, displays ads on your site that you don’t own.
You cant monetize a free Wix blog with ads network like Adsense unless you upgrade to the paid plan, which of course is not advisable.
However, you can monetize your Wix blog from Affiliate marketing only.
4. Custom Domain: You can not use a custom domain for a free Wix blog. To use a custom domain, you will have to upgrade to a paid plan.
5. Traffic: Unlike Medium and Tumblr, Wix does not have any traffic that could benefit you. You will have to build your traffic from other sources.
Also, in terms of Search Engine Optimization (SEO), you only have basic optimization. Simply put, Wix isn’t great for SEO.
How to Create a Free Wix Blog
To create your free Wix site, go to Wix.com and click on the Get Started button. On the next page, fill your details and click on the Sign-Up button.
Should You Use Wix to Create a Free Blog?
Sincerely, I do not recommend using a Free Wix blog because it isn’t that easy to set up. A lot of users find it easy though, while other users find it very difficult to use.
Personally, I tried Wix when I started blogging and was looking for a free blogging platform to start with. I wasn’t really impressed. I later ended up with Blogger.com.
Also, you shouldn’t use Wix if you want to monetize your site as you cant use Adsense or other Ads network on your free Wix blog unless you upgrade to their paid.
I don’t also encourage you to upgrade to any paid plan because you will spend more than what you would have spent if you were to get your own self-hosted professional WordPress.org blog.
Now you have seen the best blogging platforms to create a blog for free and make money, let me quickly show you how you can make money from your blog.
How To Make Money From Your Blog
Here at MyBloggingHelp, we don’t just teach you how to start and maintain a blog, we also encourage and teach how to make money from blogging.
We realize that passion isn’t enough to keep you blogging as you will also need money to pay your bills.
Besides what is the point investing time, energy and even your money into blogging if you don’t intend making money from it in the long run.
There are many ways to make money from your free blog. We will explore some of the ways, and I’ll show you some of the ones you can start with immediately as a newbie blogger.
Here are some of the popular and proven ways to make money from blogging.
- Affiliate Marketing
- Google Adsense
- Selling Products and Services
- Sponsored Posts
1. Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate Marketing simply means linking to a product from another site on your own site. The goal of this is to lead people to that site to buy the product.
Each time the product is bought on that site from your link, you are paid a certain commission. One advantage of Affiliate Marketing is that you can start it right away, even on a free blog.
All you need is to head over to the Affiliate program that you like and apply. However, when choosing an affiliate program for your blog, ensure it is related to your blog.
By that I mean, don’t advertise health items on your blog when your blog is actually a travel blog. You will not get many sales if you do that.
Here are some examples of Affiliate program that you can start with right away.
2. Google Adsense
Google Adsense is one of the ways by which you can earn money as a blogger. It is actually one of the best programs for contextual advertisement.
You can apply for Google Adsense for your new blog. However, for your application not to be rejected, ensure you have enough quality content on your site before applying.
How to Apply for Adsense
Visit the Adsense Application page and click on Sign up now
Next, enter your website URL where you want your ads to show and your email address. The email must be a google mail.
Click save and continue, then sign in to your Google Account to continue.
Select the country or the territory you are from. Read and accept Google Adsense Terms and Conditions, and submit your application.
After you successfully submitted your details, you will be given a code that you need to add to your website.
After this, your Adsense application will be reviewed within 1 month by the Adsense team to ensure it is in compliance with the Adsense policies.
If your application is approved, you will receive an email to that effect. You can then login to your Adsense account to set up ads on your blog.
3. Selling Products and Services
Another method you can use to begin to make money from your free blog is by selling your own products and offering services to people from your blog.
For instance, I could do an eBook on the top 50 proven ways to make money from blogging, and decide to sell it on my blog. As people buy, I’ll be making money.
I could offer services on my blog and make money. Some of the services that bloggers offer and make money include, content writing, web design, consulting, training, etc.
4. Sponsored Posts
This is when a company pays you to have their posts published on your website. Through this method, they get to promote their products or services on your platform.
This is not available for new blogs without traffic. However, as your blog traffic grows, you will get companies who are willing to pay to get their posts, products, and services advertised on your blog.
Creating a free blog and making money is not that difficult. If you follow this article, you will be able to create a blog for free and make money.
If you are confused about which free blogging platform to create your free blog, I recommend Blogger.com.
This guide is on how to create a blog for free and make money. However, the best way to start your blogging career if you are very serious with blogging is by creating a professional self-hosted WordPress blog.
It’s very easy and cheap to start. Learn how to create a professional self-hosted WordPress blog with our step by step guide.
I hope this helps? Feel free to notify me via the comment box if you need my help creating a free or self-hosted WordPress blog.